Max Steps Up, Then Steps Down

If any of you weren't able to watch the game on Saturday, I'd just like to offer my condolences. I was lucky enough to be at the stadium and witness the most exciting BYU game I've seen in years (I was gone for the 2006 BYU-Utah game, so that doesn't count). It was a welcome contrast to the humiliating defeat in last year's rivalry game where Max Hall threw 5 interceptions--more than Utah had had the entire season. Max apparently didn't forget that, and he came ready to play this year. He remained cool under intense overtime pressure and delivered a smooth 25-yard touchdown pass to Andrew George, giving BYU more than enough reason to celebrate. It was safe to say he had reclaimed his reputation and respect.

That is, until his now-infamous post-game interview.

If you missed his comments, here's a direct quote: "I don't like Utah. In fact, I hate them. I hate everything about them. I hate their program, their fans. I hate everything. It felt really good to send those guys home. I think the whole university and their fans and the organization is classless. They threw beer on my family and stuff last year and did a whole bunch of nasty things. I don't respect them and they deserved to lose."

That would hardly be out of line in a locker room discussion, and part of what he said is understandable (especially considering the personal nature of the attacks on both him and his family). However, not only are those comments completely inappropriate for a public interview, they cast a shadow on an otherwise clean and definitive victory. Most of what everyone has heard since the game hasn't been about football--it's centered around Max Hall and his hatred of "everything."

Fortunately, Max did issue an apology in which he clarified his feelings and stated his respect for Utah's coach and players. But the initial impact of his interview was big enough to attract thousands of Max Hall-haters to join Facebook pages such as "Max Hall hates me and thinks I'm classless" and to deepen the rivalry to an unhealthy, hateful level.

Moral of the story? Don't always say what you really think. Especially if you're on camera.



0 comments:

Post a Comment